On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 03:39:08AM -0700, Robert Milkowski wrote:

> 1. What would happen is size actually are different but it wasn't
> checked and pool was created?  ZFS will panic or generate r/w error
> when accessing non existant blocks?

No, the devices will all be created with the same size in the kernel.
The size check is solely enforced in userland.

> 2. What about my case - why format() or EMC's inq (and Symmetrix
> itself) show that all these      devices are the same size while
> fstat() shows different?

There are some oddities w.r.t. specfs, devices, and size determination.
We play some tricks in zpool, such as keeping the device node open, to
try and get a reliable device size.  But my understanding is that it's
still possible to get the wrong answer for some devices.  I would
suggest doing a 'truss -v fstat -t open' and see what the actual values
being returned are.

- Eric

--
Eric Schrock, Solaris Kernel Development       http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock