Neil Perrin wrote:

Torrey McMahon wrote On 10/15/06 22:13,:
Matthew Ahrens wrote:

Jeremy Teo wrote:

Would it be worthwhile to implement heuristics to auto-tune
'recordsize', or would that not be worth the effort?

It would be really great to automatically select the proper recordsize for each file! How do you suggest doing so?

Maybe I've been thinking with my systems hat on to tight but why not have a hook into ZFS where an application, if written to the proper spec, can tell ZFS what it's desired recordsize is? Then you don't have to play any guessing games.

That would work, but the idea behind ZFS is to get rid of special hooks
and tunables and just make it work well and fast for the existing API.

I agree in principal. However, based on some of the other emails in the thread, it seems that the work required to watch the i/o coming in and recalibrating is a lot of work. I can't see how a hook to tell ZFS what an apps preferred record size to be anywhere near complex or "fraught with peril" but I'll gladly be re-edumacated. :)

Of course we'd probably want an ingress hook for the app and an egress hook to the storage device ... but I'm getting ahead of myself.