-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Anantha N.
Srirama
Sent: 18 October 2006 13:11
To: zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: [zfs-discuss] Re: Configuring a 3510 for ZFS

Thanks for the stimulating exchange of ideas/thoughts. I've always been
a believer of letting s/w do my RAID functions; for example in the old
days of VxVM I always preferred to do mirroring at the s/w level. It is
my belief that there is more 'meta' information available at the OS
level than at the storage level for s/w to make intelligent decisions;
dynamic recordsize in ZFS is one example.

Any thoughts on the following approach:

1. I'll configure 3511 to present multiple LUNs (mirrored internally) to
OS.
2. Lay down a ZFS pool/filesystem without RAID protection (RAIDZ...) in
the OS

With this approach I will enjoy the caching facility of 3511 and the
checksum protection afforded by ZFS.