Erik Trimble wrote:
Matthew Ahrens wrote:
Erik Trimble wrote:
The ability to expand (and, to a less extent, shrink) a RAIDZ or RAIDZ2 device is actually one of the more critical missing features from ZFS, IMHO. It is very common for folks to add additional shelf or shelves into an existing array setup, and if you have created a pool which uses RAIDZ across the shelves (a good idea), then you want to add the new shelves into the existing RAIDZ setup.

Out of curiosity, what software (filesystem and/or volume manager) and configuration are you using today to achieve this?

--matt
I can't speak for VxVM, since I can't remember if it has the capability, but most hardware RAID controllers and SAN controllers have had this ability for ages (which, combines with VxVM or other FS's that can grow/shrink a FS when the underlying partition size changes).

See:  IBM's ServeRAID controllers, HP's MSA-series array heads, etc.

Right, but those are volume managers or hardware devices that export LUNs. They can shrink the LUN by simply throwing away the end of it. ZFS's zvols can do this too.

Shrinking the *filesystem* that sits on top of that LUN is a much more difficult problem! (But, as I've mentioned, it's one we're going to solve.)

--matt