Elizabeth Schwartz wrote:
On 11/28/06, *David Dyer-Bennet* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    Looks to me like another example of ZFS noticing and reporting an
    error that would go quietly by on any other filesystem.  And if you're
    concerned with the integrity of the data, why not use some ZFS
    redundancy?  (I'm guessing you're applying the redundancy further
    downstream; but, as this situation demonstrates, separating it too far
    from the checksum verification makes it less useful.)

Well, this error meant that two files on the file system were inaccessible, and one user was completely unable to use IMAP, so I don't know about unnoticeable.

David said, "[the error] would go quietly by on any other filesystem". The point is that ZFS detected and reported the fact that your hardware corrupted the data. A different filesystem would have simply given your application the incorrect data.

How would I use more redundancy?

By creating a zpool with some redundancy, eg. 'zpool create poolname mirror disk1 disk2'.

--matt