Jim,

I'm not at all sure what happened to your pool.
However, I can answer some of your questions.

Jim Hranicky wrote On 12/05/06 11:32,:
So the questions are:

- is this fixable? I don't see an inum I could run
find on to remove,

I think the pool is busted. Even the message printed in your
previous email is bad:

          DATASET  OBJECT  RANGE
          15       0       lvl=4294967295 blkid=0

as level is way out of range.

  and I can't even do a zfs volinit anyway:
      nextest-01# zfs volinit
cannot iterate filesystems: I/O error

I'm not sure why you're using zfs volinit which I believe creates
the zvol links, but this further shows problems.

- would not enabling zil_disable have prevented this?

No the intent log is not needed for pool integrity.
It ensures the synchronous semantics of O_DSYNC/fsync are obeyed.