Robert Milkowski wrote:
Hello eric,

Saturday, December 9, 2006, 7:07:49 PM, you wrote:

ek> Jim Mauro wrote:
Could be NFS synchronous semantics on file create (followed by repeated flushing of the write cache). What kind of storage are you using (feel free to send privately if you need to) - is it a thumper?
It's not clear why NFS-enforced synchronous semantics would induce different behavior than the same
load to a local ZFS.

ek> Actually i forgot he had 'zil_disable' turned on, so it won't matter in
ek> this case.

Ben, are you sure zil_disable was set to 1 BEFORE pool was imported?

Yes, absolutely. Set var in /etc/system, reboot, system come up. That happened almost 2 months ago, long before this lock insanity problem popped up.

To be clear, the ZIL issue was a problem for creation of a handful of files of any size. Untar'ing a file was a massive performance drain. This issue, other the other hand, deals with thousands of little files being created all the time (IMAP Locks). These are separate issues from my point of view. With ZIL slowness NFS performance was just slow but we didn't see massive CPU usage, with this issue on the other hand we were seeing waves in 10 second-ish cycles where the run queue would go sky high with 0 idle. Please see the earlier mails for examples of the symptoms.

benr.