Tom Duell wrote On 12/12/06 17:11,:
Group,

We are running a benchmark with 4000 users
simulating a hospital management system
running on Solaris 10 6/06 on USIV+ based
SunFire 6900 with 6540 storage array.

Are there any tools for measuring internal
ZFS activity to help us understand what is going
on during slowdowns?

dtrace can be used in numerous ways to examine
every part of ZFS and Solaris. lockstat(1M) (which actually
uses dtrace underneath) can also be used to see the cpu activity
(try lockstat -kgIW -D 20 sleep 10).

You can also use iostat (eg iostat -xnpcz) to look at disk activity.

We have 192GB of RAM and while ZFS runs
well most of the time, there are times where
the system time jumps up to 25-40%
as measured by vmstat and iostat.  These
times coincide with slowdowns in file access
as measured by a side program that simply
reads a random block in a file... these response
times can exceed 1 second or longer.

ZFS commits transaction groups every 5 seconds.
I suspect this flurry of activity is due to that.
Commiting can indeed take longer than a second.

You might be able to show this by changing it with:

# echo txg_time/W 10 | mdb -kw

then the activity should be longer but less frequent.
I don't however recommend you keep it at that value.

Any pointers greatly appreaciated!

Tom