On Dec 20, 2006, at 00:37, Anton B. Rang wrote:

"INFORMATION: If a member of this striped zpool becomes unavailable or develops corruption, Solaris will kernel panic and reboot to protect your data."

OK, I'm puzzled.

Am I the only one on this list who believes that a kernel panic, instead of EIO, represents a bug?

I agree as well - did you file a bug on this yet?

Inducing kernel panics (like we also do on certain sun cluster failure types) to prevent corruption can often lead to more corruption elsewhere, and usually ripples to throw admins, managers, and users in a panic as well - typically resulting in more corrupted opinions and perceptions of reliability and usability. :)

---
.je