On 12/29/06, Eric Schrock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 04:07:57PM -0800, Jason Austin wrote:
> When messing around with zfs trying to break it, I creating a new pool
> using files on an existing zfs filesystem.  It seem to work fine until
> I created a snapshot of the original filesystem and then tried to
> destroy the pool using the files.  The system appeared to deadlock and
> had to be rebooted.  When it came back up the files pool was in an
> error state and could be destroyed.
>
> I don't see much value in being able to do that but it might be a good
> idea to have zpool error out instead of a creating a pool that could
> crash that system.

Yes, this is a known issue.  There is a bug filed, but I don't have it
offhand.

I hope the "fix" includes the option to create pools on zfs file
systems recursively. It'll be a shame if there would be a restriction
as it would limit zfs usefulness for virtualization (like creating a
"mobile" zone where all data are stored in a file instead of a
physical disk).

Holger