Peter Schuller wrote:
I've been using a simple model for small, random reads.  In that model,
the performance of a raidz[12] set will be approximately equal to a single
disk.  For example, if you have 6 disks, then the performance for the
6-disk raidz2 set will be normalized to 1, and the performance of a 3-way
dynamic stripe of 2-way mirrors will have a normalized performance of 6.
I'd be very interested to see if your results concur.

Is this expected behavior? Assuming concurrent reads (not synchronous and sequential) I would naively expect an ndisk raidz2 pool to have a normalized performance of n for small reads.

q.v. http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=20942&tstart=0
where such behavior in a hardware RAID array lead to corruption which
was detected by ZFS.  No free lunch today, either.
-- richard