Hi Robert,

Thank you! Holy mackerel! That's a lot of memory. With that type of a
calculation my 4GB arc_max setting is still in the danger zone on a
Thumper. I wonder if any of the ZFS developers could shed some light
on the calculation?

That kind of memory loss makes ZFS almost unusable for a database system.

I agree that a page cache similar to UFS would be much better.  Linux
works similarly to free pages, and it has been effective enough in the
past. Though I'm equally unhappy about Linux's tendency to grab every
bit of free RAM available for filesystem caching, and then cause
massive memory thrashing as it frees it for applications.

Best Regards,
Jason