We had a 2TB filesystem. No matter what options I set explicitly, the UFS
filesystem kept getting written with a 1 million file limit. Believe me, I
tried a lot of options, and they kept getting set back on me.

After a fair bit of poking around (Google, Sun's site, etc.) I found several
other notes indicating that this was the limit for UFS file systems. (For the
pedants, keep in mind we are talking computers, so the actual number will be
some exponent of 2. "! million" is an approximation.)

If someone has gotten around this under UFS, I'd be very interested--as an
intellectual curiousity--in knowing what switches you passed to the mkfs/newfs
command(s).

Rainer