On Jan 25, 2007, at 10:16, Torrey McMahon wrote:

Albert Chin wrote:
On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 10:19:29AM -0800, Frank Cusack wrote:

On January 24, 2007 10:04:04 AM -0800 Bryan Cantrill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 09:46:11AM -0800, Moazam Raja wrote:

Well, he did say fairly cheap. the ST 3511 is about $18.5k. That's
about the same price for the low-end NetApp FAS250 unit.

Note that the 3511 is being replaced with the 6140:

Which is MUCH nicer but also much pricier. Also, no non-RAID option.

So there's no way to treat a 6140 as JBOD? If you wanted to use a 6140
with ZFS, and really wanted JBOD, your only choice would be a RAID 0
config on the 6140?

Why would you want to treat a 6140 like a JBOD? (See the previous threads about JBOD vs HW RAID...)

I was trying to see if we sold the CSM2 trays without the controller, but I don't think that's commonly asked for .. reminds me of the old D1000 days - i seem to recall putting in more of those as the A1000 controllers weren't the greatest and people tended to opt for s/w mirrors instead. Then as the system application load went higher and the data became more critical the push was towards offloading this onto better storage controllers .. so since it seems like we now have more processing and bus speed on the system that applications aren't taking advantage of yet, it looks like the pendulum might be swinging back towards host-based RAID again.

not a verdict .. just a thought
---
.je