Anantha N. Srirama writes:
 > Agreed, I guess I didn't articulate my point/thought very well. The
 > best config is to present JBoDs and let ZFS provide the data
 > protection. This has been a very stimulating conversation thread; it
 > is shedding new light into how to best use ZFS.

I would say:

        To enable the unique ZFS feature of self-healing
        ZFS must be allowed to manage a level of
        redundancy: mirroring or Raid-z.

        The  type  of LUNs   (JBOD/Raid-*/iscsi) used is not
        relevant in this statement.

Now, if  one also relies on ZFS  to  reconstruct data in the
face of  disk     failures (as opposed   to    storage based
reconstruction), better make  sure that  single/double  disk
failures do not bring down multiple LUNS at once. So better
protection is achieved by configuring LUNS that maps to
seggregated sets of physical things (disks & controllers).

-r