More diagnostic information:

Before the afore-listed stack dump, the console displays many lines of text similar to the following, that scroll by very quickly. I was only able to capture them with the help of a digital camera.

WARNING: kstat_create('unix', 0, zio_buf_#####'): namespace_collision

Jeff Victor wrote:
Jim Walker wrote:
There are ZFS file systems.  There are no zones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is my
everyday computer.
Take a look at page 167 of the admin guide:
http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/docs/zfsadmin.pdf

You need to delete /etc/zfs/zpool.cache. And, use zpool import to recover.

Cheers,
Jim
Thanks.

In Solaris Failsafe, I have mounted the root of the real OS instance onto /a. There is a /a/etc/zfs directory, but it is empty. No zpool.cache.

The doc doesn't describe a solution for that situation.  Any other ideas?