ZFS checksums are at the block level.

Nathan Essex wrote On 02/01/07 08:27,:
I am trying to understand if zfs checksums apply at a file or a block level.
We know that zfs provides end to end checksum integrity, and I assumed that
when I write a file to a zfs filesystem, the checksum was calculated at a file
level, as opposed to say, a block level.  However, I have noticed that when I
create an emulated volume, that volume has a checksum property, set to the same
default as a normal zfs filesystem.  I can even change the checksum value as
normal, see below:

# /usr/sbin/zfs create -V 50GB -b 128KB mypool/myvol

# /usr/sbin/zfs set checksum=sha256 mypool/myvol

Now on this emulated volume, I could place any number of structures that are
not zfs filesystems, say raw database volumes, or ufs, qfs, etc.  Since these
do not perform end to end checksums, can someone explain to me what the zfs
checksum would be doing at this point?