> In this case, yes.  I wonder if you could create a second zfs pool on
> the volume.  (Starting such pools at boot time might be problematic
> though!).  The idea is that you have sparse raw storage available to
> you.  The example placed a UFS filesystem on it, but you could do
> otherwise.

Followup to myself.

Okay, it's just wrong, but it appears to work....  :-)

# zfs list
NAME                   USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
tank                  1.40M  8.24G  25.5K  /tank
tank/test             24.5K  8.24G  24.5K  /tank/test
tank/zvol1            1.28M  8.24G  1.28M  -
vtank                   76K  1.91T  24.5K  /vtank

vtank is a zpool on top of tank/zvol1

        NAME                        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        vtank                       ONLINE       0     0     0
          /dev/zvol/dsk/tank/zvol1  ONLINE       0     0     0

# cp /usr/sbin/xntpdc /vtank
# zfs list vtank
NAME                   USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
vtank                  178K  1.91T   126K  /vtank

I don't think I want to reboot it in this state, though.  :-)

--
Darren Dunham                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]