On 2/1/07, Al Hopper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Tom Buskey wrote:

> [i]
> I got an Addonics eSata card. Sata 3.0. PCI *or* PCI-X. Works right off the
bat w/ 10u3. No firmware update needed. It was $130. But I don't pull out my hair
and I can use it if I upgrade my server for pci-x
> [/i]
>
> And I'm finding the throughput isn't there.  < 2MB/s in ZFS RAIDZ and worse
with UFS.
> *sigh*

I think that there are big issues with the 3124 driver.  I saw unexplained
pauses that lasted from 30 to 80+ Seconds during a tar from a single SATA
disk drive that I was migrating data from (using a Syba SD-SATA2-2E2I
card).  I fully expected the kernel to crash while observing this transfer
(it did'nt).  It happened periodically - each time a certain amount of
data had been transferred (just by observation - not measurement).  And
this was a UFS filesystem and the drive is a Sun original drive from an
Ultra 20 box.  I need to do some followup "experiments" as Mike Riley
(Sun) has kindly offered to take my results to the people working on this
driver.

> So, anyone know an inexpensive 4 port SATA card for PCI that'll work
> with 10u3 and I don't need to reflash the BIOS on?  (I bricked a
> Syba...)

Honestly, you're much better off with the $125 8-port SuperMicro board
that I have been unable to "break" to date. Details: SuperMicro
AOC-SAT2-MV8 8-port - uses the Rev C0 (Hercules-2) chip:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AoC-SAT2-MV8.cfm

Kudos to the Sun developers working the Marvell driver!  :)  In the
meantime I hope to find time to test a SAS2041E-R (initially the PCI
Express version of this card).

We switched away from those same Marvell cards because of unexplained
disconnects/reconnects that ZFS/Solaris would not survive from.
Stability for us came from embracing the Sil3124-2's (Tekram). We had
two marvell based systems, and the most stable are the now
discontinued SATA-I adaptec 16 port cards, and Sil3124s. I think its
redundant, but the state of SATA support here is still the most
glaring weakness. Isolating this all to a SCSI-to-SATA external
chassis is the surest route to bliss.

Keep posting to zfs-discuss!  :)

Al Hopper  Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           Voice: 972.379.2133 Fax: 972.379.2134  Timezone: US CDT
OpenSolaris.Org Community Advisory Board (CAB) Member - Apr 2005
             OpenSolaris Governing Board (OGB) Member - Feb 2006