Robert Milkowski wrote On 02/06/07 11:43,:
Hello eric,

IIRC Bill posted here some tie ago saying the problem with write cache
on the arrays is being worked on.

ek> Yep, the bug is:
ek> 6462690 sd driver should set SYNC_NV bit when issuing SYNCHRONIZE ek> CACHE to
ek> SBC-2 devices

Thanks. I see a workaround there (I saw it earlier but it doesn't
apply to 3510) and I have a question - setting zil_disable to 1
won't actually completely disable cache flushing, right? (still every
txg group completes cache would be flushed)??

ek> We have a case going through PSARC that will make things works ek> correctly with regards to flushing the write cache and non-volatile ek> caches.

There's actually a tunable to disable cache flushes:
zfs_nocacheflush and in older code (like S10U3) it's zil_noflush.

Yes, but we didn't want to publicise this internal switch. (I would
not call it a tunable). We (or at least I) are regretting publicising
zil_disable, but using zfs_nocacheflush is worse. If the device is
volatile then we can get pool corruption. An uberblock could get written
before all of its tree.

Note, zfs_nocacheflush and zil_noflush are not the same.
Setting zil_noflush stopped zil flushes of the write cache, whereas
zfs_nocacheflush will additionally stop flushing for txgs.

Hmmmm...

ek> The tricky part is getting vendors to actually support SYNC_NV bit. ek> If you your favorite vendor/array doesn't support it, feel free to ek> give them a call...

Is there any work being done to ensure/check that all arrays Sun sells
do support it?