>We've considered looking at porting the AOE _server_ module to Solaris,
>especially since the Solaris loopback driver (/dev/lofi) is _much_ more
>stable than the loopback module in Linux (the Linux loopback module is a
>stellar piece of crap).

ok, it`s quite old and probably not the most elegant solution - but unstable?
could you underline that somehow?
i use the loopback module for years and never had a problem.
anyway - it`s getting a competitor: bugfixed version of dm-loop device-mapper
target has just been posted on dm-devel today.

roland