Below is another paper on drive failure analysis, this one won best paper at usenix:

http://www.usenix.org/events/fast07/tech/schroeder/schroeder_html/ index.html

What I found most interesting was the idea that drives don't fail outright most of the time. They can slow down operations, and slowly die.

With this behavior in mind, I had an idea for a new feature in ZFS:

If a disk fitness test were available to verify disk read/write and performance, future drive problems could be avoided.

        Some example tests:
                - full disk read
                - 8kb r/w iops
                - 1mb r/w iops
                - raw throughput

Since one disk may be different than others, I thought a comparison between two presumably similar disks would be useful.

        The command would be something like:
                zpool dft c1t0d0 c1t1d0

        Or:
                zpool dft all

I think this would be a great feature, as only zfs can do fitness tests on live running disks behind the scenes.

With the ability to compare individual disk performance, not only will you find bad disks, it's entirely possible you'll find mis- configurations (such as bad connections) as well.

And yes, I do know about SMART. SMART can pre-indicate a disk failure. However, I've run SMART on drives with bearings that were gravel that passed smart, even though I knew the 10k drive was running at about 3k rpm due to the bearings.

-----
Gregory Shaw, IT Architect
Phone: (303) 272-8817 (x78817)
ITCTO Group, Sun Microsystems Inc.
500 Eldorado Blvd, UBRM02-157               [EMAIL PROTECTED] (work)
Broomfield, CO 80021                          [EMAIL PROTECTED] (home)
"When Microsoft writes an application for Linux, I've Won." - Linus Torvalds