Jens Elkner writes:
 > Currently I'm trying to figure out the best zfs layout for a thumper wrt. to
 > read AND write performance.
 >
 > I did some simple mkfile 512G tests and found out, that per average ~
 > 500 MB/s  seems to be the maximum on can reach (tried initial default
 > setup, all 46 HDDs as R0, etc.).

That might be a per pool limitation due to

        http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6460622

This performance feature was fixed in Nevada last week.
Workaround is to  create multiple pools with fewer disks.

Also this

        http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6415647

is degrading a bit the perf (guesstimate of anywhere up to
10-20%).

-r