> Given your question are you about to come back with a
> case where you are not
> seeing this?

As a follow-up, I tested this on UFS and ZFS. UFS does very poorly: the I/O
rate drops off quickly when you add processes while reading the same blocks
from the same file at the same time. I don't know why this is, and it would be
helpful if someone explained it to me.

ZFS did a lot better. There did not appear to be any drop-off after the first
process. There was a drop in I/O rate as I kept adding processes, but in that
case the CPU was at 100%. I haven't had a chance to test this on a bigger box,
but I suspect ZFS is able to keep the sequential read going at full speed (at
least if the blocks happen to be written sequentially).

I did these tests with each process being a "dd if=bigfile of=/dev/null"
started at the same time, and I measured I/O rate with "zpool iostat mypool 2"
and "iostat -Md 2".