> So why don't you state the actual time it takes to "come up"?

I can't because I don't know. The DBA's have been very difficult about sharing
the information. It took several emails and a meeting before we even found out
the fact that the 10GB SGA DB didn't start up "quick enough". We also honestly
don't know how long they waited before the next attempt where the database came
up successfully.

> What is "magic" about 2 minutes?

This could be a number they picked out of the air, but it may actually be a
legitimate timing Oracle uses to determine whether it is coming up cleanly or
not--I have no idea. Since I provided a summary of the information I got here
together with what I already knew, my offer to sit down with them and redo the
testing has generated a big silence.

Like I stated before, I think this is mostly an exercise in training and
managing expectations, not a real "problem". I've been far too busy while at
work to push the matter past their current silence. (This account is my
personal involvement with OpenSolaris, and I'm answering a lot of these
Lead in the hopes of filling in and clarifying some of the information I've
read. The comments in this thread have been helpful in doing that.

Thanks again to everyone.
Rainer