I recently integrated this fix into ON:

  6536606 gzip compression for ZFS

With this, ZFS now supports gzip compression. To enable gzip compression
just set the 'compression' property to 'gzip' (or 'gzip-N' where N=1..9).
Existing pools will need to upgrade in order to use this feature, and, yes,
this is the second ZFS version number update this week. Recall that once
you've upgraded a pool older software will no longer be able to access it
regardless of whether you're using the gzip compression algorithm.

I did some very simple tests to look at relative size and time requirements:

  http://blogs.sun.com/ahl/entry/gzip_for_zfs_update

I've also asked Roch Bourbonnais and Richard Elling to do some more
extensive tests.

Adam

>From zfs(1M):

     compression=on | off | lzjb | gzip | gzip-N

         Controls  the  compression  algorithm  used   for   this
         dataset.  The  "lzjb" compression algorithm is optimized
         for performance while providing decent data compression.
         Setting  compression to "on" uses the "lzjb" compression
         algorithm. The "gzip"  compression  algorithm  uses  the
         same  compression  as  the  gzip(1)  command.   You  can
         specify the gzip level  by  using  the  value  "gzip-N",
         where  N  is  an  integer  from  1  (fastest) to 9 (best
         compression ratio). Currently, "gzip" is  equivalent  to
         "gzip-6" (which is also the default for gzip(1)).

         This property can also be referred to by  its  shortened
         column name "compress".

--
Adam Leventhal, Solaris Kernel Development       http://blogs.sun.com/ahl