Joseph Barbey wrote:
Robert Milkowski wrote:

JB> So, normally, when the script runs, all snapshots finish in maybe a minute JB> total. However, on Sundays, it continues to take longer and longer. On JB> 2/25 it took 30 minutes, and this last Sunday, it took 2:11. The only JB> thing special thing about Sunday's snapshots is that they are the first
JB> ones created since the full backup (using NetBackup) on Saturday. All
JB> other backups are incrementals.

hmmmmm do you have atime property set to off?
Maybe you spend most of the time in destroying snapshots due to much
larger delta coused by atime updates? You can possibly also gain some
performance by setting atime to off.

Yep, atime is set to off for all pools and filesystems. I looked through the other possible properties, and nothing really looked like it would really affect things.

One additional weird thing. My script hits each filesystem (email-pool/A..Z) individually, so I can run zfs list -t snapshot and find out how long each snapshot actually takes. Everything runs fine until I get to around V or (normally) W. Then it can take a couple of hours on the one FS. After that, the rest go quickly.

So, what operation exactly is taking "a couple of hours on the one FS"? The only one I can imagine taking more than a minute would be 'zfs destroy', but even that should be very rare on a snapshot. Is it always the same FS that takes longer than the rest? Is the pool busy when you do the slow operation?

You should be able to improve performance considerably (~26x) by using just doing one 'zfs snapshot -r', 'zfs destroy -r', and 'zfs rename -r'. (rename -r is in progress, should be available in OpenSolaris soon; the others are in s10u3.)

--matt