Peter Eriksson wrote:
I'm about to start migrating a lot of files on UFS filesystems from a Solaris 9 server
to a new server running Solaris 10 (u3) with ZFS (a Thumper). Now... What's the
"best" way to move all these files? Should one use Solaris tar, Solaris cpio,
ufsdump/ufsrestore, rsync or what?

I currently use Solaris tar like this:
   cd $DIR && tar [EMAIL PROTECTED] - . | rsh $HOST "cd $NEWDIR && tar [EMAIL
PROTECTED] -"

seems simple enough :-)

ufsdump/ufsrestore doesn't restore the ACLs so that doesn't work, same with
rsync.

ufsrestore obviously won't work on ZFS.  If you use ACLs, then your task is
harder
because of the differences between ACL implementations.  You might want to plan
on
an audit of whatever method you ultimately choose.

cpio will fail with filenames with strange characters (since Solaris cpio doesn't support
the "print0/0" options from Gnu find/cpio). Considering that this is some
4TB of files to move - what other alternatives are there?

pax, gtar (on companion CD for S9, IIRC), rdist, et.al.  Surely there must be
more than 100 ways to do this.

Is there some faster alternative to "rsh" - I wonder if a tool that was designed for interactive communications really is suited for multi-terabyte data transfers :-)

You'll likely be wire-speed or disk bound.  I would recommend ssh over rsh
as a best practice.

Anyway - how did you convert your large filesystems?

/Eagerly awaiting ZFS ACL support in Samba and rsync...

Check the zfs-discuss archives, this topic comes up every other month or so.
 -- richard