My two cents,

        Assuming that you may pick a specific compression algorithm,
        most algorithms can have different levels/percentages of
        deflations/inflations which is effects the time to compress
        and/or inflate wrt the CPU capacity.

        Secondly, if I can add an additional item, would anyone
        want to be able to encrypt the data vs compress or to
        be able to combine encryption with compression?

        Third, if data were to be compressed within a file
        object, should a reader be made aware that the data
        being read is compressed or should he just read
        garbage? Would/should a field in the znode be read
        transparently that de-compresses already compressed
        data?

        Fourth, if you take 8k and expect to alloc 8k of disk
        block storage for it and compress it to 7k, are you
        really saving 1k? Or are you just creating an additional
        1K of internal fragmentation? It is possible that moving
'       7K of data accross your "SCSI" type interface may
        give you a faster read/write performance. But that is
        after the additional latency of the compress on the
        async write and adds a real latency on the current
        block read. So, what are you really gaining?????

        Fifth and hopefully last, should the znode have a
        new length field that keeps the non-compressed length
        for Posix compatibility. I am assuming large file
        support where a process that is not large file aware
        should not be able to even open the file. With the
        additional field (unccompressed size) the file may
        lie on the boundry for the large file open reqs.

        Really last..., why not just compress the data stream
        before writing it out to disk? Then you can at least do
        a file on it and identify the type of compression...

        Mitchell Erblich