Joerg Schilling,

        Stepping back into the tech discussion.

        If we want a port of ZFS to Linux to begin, SHOULD the kitchen
        sink approach be abandoned for the 1.0 release?? For later
        releases, dropped functionality could be added in.

        Suggested 1.0 Requirements
        --------------------------
        1) No NFS export support
        2) Basic local FS support (all Vnodeops and VFS op review)
        3) Identify any FSs (source availability) that are common
          between Linux and SunOS and use those as porting guides
        4)Identify all Sun DDI/DKI calls that have no Linux equivs
        5)Identify what ZFS apps need supporting
        6)Identify any/all library's that are needed for the ZFS apps
        7)Identify and acquire as many ZFS validation tests as possible.
        8) Can we/should we assume that the Sun ZFS docs will suffice
           as main reference and identify any and all diffs using a
           suplimentary doc.
        9) Create a one pager on the mmap() diffs.
        10) Identify whether lookuppathname should be ported over to
           Linux, and whether "ships-in-the-night" approach would
           cause more problems.

        Mitchell Erblich
        Sr Software Engineer