Imagine that I setup a box:
  - with Solaris
  - with many HDs (directly attached).
  - use ZFS as the FS
  - export the Data with NFS
  - on an UPS.

Then after reading the :
http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Best_Practices_Guide#ZFS_and_Complex_Storage_Considerations
I wonder if there is a way to tell the OS to ignore the fsync flush
commands since they are likely to survive a power outage.

Cedric,

You do not want to ignore syncs from ZFS if your harddisk is directly
attached to the server.  As the document mentioned, that is really for
Complex Storage with NVRAM where flush is not necessary.

This post follows : `XServe Raid & Complex Storage Considerations'
http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=29276&tstart=0

Where we have made the assumption (*1) if the XServe Raid is connected to an UPS that we can consider the RAM in the XServe Raid as it was NVRAM.

(*1)
  This assumption is even pointed by Roch  :
  http://blogs.sun.com/roch/#zfs_to_ufs_performance_comparison
  >> Intelligent Storage
  through: `the Shenanigans with ZFS flushing and intelligent arrays...'
  http://blogs.digitar.com/jjww/?itemid=44
  >> Tell your array to ignore ZFS' flush commands

So in this way, when we export it with NFS we get a boost in the BW.

Okay, then is there any difference that I do not catch between :
 - the Shenanigans with ZFS flushing and intelligent arrays...
 - and my situation

I mean, I want to have a cheap and reliable nfs service. Why should I buy expensive `Complex Storage with NVRAM' and not just buying a machine with 8 IDE HD's ?

Ced.
--

Cedric BRINER
Geneva - Switzerland