Ian Collins,

        My two free cents..

        If the gzip was in application space, most gzip's implementations
        support (maybe a new compile) a less extensive/expensive "deflation"
        that would consume fewer CPU cycles.

        Secondly, if the file objects are being written locally, the
        writes to disk are being done asynchronously and shouldn't
        really delay other processes and slow down the system.

        So, my first order would be to take 1GB or 10GB .wav files
        AND time both the kernel implementation of Gzip and the
        user application. Approx the same times MAY indicate
        that the kernel implementation gzip funcs should
        be treatedly maybe more as  interactive scheduling
        threads and that it is too high and blocks other
        threads or proces from executing.

        Mitchell Erblich
        Sr Software Engineer