I have also been trying to figure out the best strategy regarding ZFS
boot... I currently have a single disk UFS boot and RAID-Z for data. I plan
on getting a mirror for boot, but I still don't understand what my options
are regarding:

- Should I set up one zfs slice for the entire drive and mimic live update
functionality with writable clones? Or use multiple slices, each with a ZFS
boot environment?

- Is it reasonable to expect that this scheme will eventually be the way ZFS
boot and Live Upgrade will work in "official" release so I don't have to
reinstall entire system?

- Are there any other drawbacks to going with ZFS boot at this time?

As a side note, and the reason I am so thankful to people who created ZFS, I
will tell a brief story... I used to have a Windows XP machine with a
motherboard with onboard Sil3112A SATA chipset, and Seagate 200GB
7200.7drive that contained much data. I had spent months over time
ripping a few
hundred CDs that my wife and I had in our collection, and they were stored
in .APE format (compressed, lossless, and checksummed). I had at the same
time made a rip in mp3 format for iPod/iTunes, so I rarely had reason to
access lossless files - they were there for long term backup and
convenience. Occasionally I would realize that one of them refused to
decompress (failed checksum),  but I figured it is a bug somewhere and
re-ripped it and hoped it wouldn't happen again. Then I realized that too
many had this problem, and started to systematically decompress them, only
to find out that around 25-30% of the files were damaged - at least hundred
hours of ripping and cataloguing down the drain. While researching this
issue, I found out that there were incompatibilities between controller and
the drive, and that people on Linux had to hack the drivers to get around
this problem (google Mod15Write). Windows drivers were also fixed at some
point - don't know when - and if it weren't for large, checksummed files
that disk was full of, I could have gone on for years without realizing that
data is getting corrupted. (it was only a few bits at a time - a tiny % of
total number of bits, but when you have 500MB files...). This motherboard is
still alive and is currently running OpenSolaris (not using on-board SATA
controller), and the drive is happily chugging along on a ICH7-based
motherboard in OSX. Moral of the story being that even very mainstream and
well-regarded hardware that seems a perfectly sensible purchase at the time
(The very popular ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard with Seagate SATA drives
of the same period) can turn out to be a disaster, and you won't know until
it is too late. Not to sound too sappy, but right now with a 1yr old, I have
too many precious digital photos and videos and losing them is not an
option. I use a combination of DVD and online backups, but none of it is any
good if data is saliently rotting at the source. Thank you, ZFS team.