>What was the reason to make ZFS use directory sizes as the number of
>entries rather than the way other Unix filesystems use it?  I fear that
>several more of the 700 open source packages we've ported to our hosts
>are going to exhibit this problem.

It's a choice as good as any.

The scandir implementation is wrong for a variety of reasons; the
foremost being that it assumes that it is operating on a directory
part of a *local* *ufs* filesystem.  Both those assumption are
false.  (Other filesystems may store different dirents (larger, smaller)
or store them in a manner which is no directly related to size)

But while it's clear we can easily fix Solaris' Nevada/10 scandir this is
not the case for all NFS clients as we don't control them.

Casper