Mario Goebbels wrote:
This LZO issue is something that might crop up again and again in
different shapes. If ZFS is being adopted on different operating
systems, people might start cooking their own soups.

I don't know about any legal restrictions that might or might not be in place to prevent or allow that. Speak to your lawyer.

But, as a leader of Sun's ZFS team, and the OpenSolaris ZFS community, I would do everything in my power to prevent the ZFS on-disk format from diverging in different implementations. Let's discuss the issues on this mailing list as they come up, and try to arrive at a conclusion which offers the best ZFS for *all* ZFS users, OpenSolaris or otherwise.

In this particular issue, I agree with Adam -- let's see the LZO/ZFS code and go from there.

FYI, we're already working with engineers on some other ports to ensure on-disk compatability. Those changes are going smoothly. So please, contact us if you want to make (or want us to make) on-disk changes to ZFS for your port or distro. We aren't that difficult to work with :-)

--mat