http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/ds/zfs.jsp

Solaris ZFS—The Most Advanced File System on the Planet

Anyone who has ever lost important files, run out of space on a
partition, spent weekends adding new storage to servers, tried to grow
or shrink a file system, or experienced data corruption knows that there
is room for improvement in file systems and volume managers. The Solaris
Zettabyte File System (ZFS), is designed from the ground up to meet the
emerging needs of a general-purpose file system that spans the desktop
to the data center.

Mitchell Erblich
Ex-Sun Eng