Jay,

Slides look good, though I'm not not sure what you say along
with "Filthy lying" on slide 22 related to the ZIL, or
slide 27 which has "Worst Feature - thinks hardware is stupid".

Anyway I have some comments on http://www.meangrape.com/2007/08/oscon-zfs
You say:
-------
Records in the ZIL are discarded in a number of circumstances:

    * a DMU transaction group completes and is committed to stable storage
    * a write flagged O_DSYNC completes
    * an fsync() call is completed
    * a ZFS filesystem is successfully unmounted
----

Your fist bullet is correct: in-memory and stable storage intent log
records are discarded when the dmu transaction group is committed
to stable storage. However, this is the only time they are discarded.

A O_DSYNC or fsync will cause in-memory records to be written to the
stable storage intent log. When unmounting, if there are any uncommitted
transactions we wait for that DMU transaction group to commit.

Most of this is explained in:

http://blogs.sun.com/perrin/entry/the_lumberjack

Hope that helps: Neil.