> I have hundreds of Xen-based virtual machines running off a ZFS/iSCSI
> service; yes, it's viable. I can't speak for CentOS specifically; our
> infrastructure is using Debian Etch with our own build of Xen.

How does ZFS handle snapshots of large files like VM images? Is replication
done on the bit/block level or by file? In otherwords, does a snapshot of a
changed VM image take up the same amount of space as the image or only the
amount of space of the bits that have changed within the image?

I'm also strongly considering going with NFS or AFS instead of iSCSI so I
don't have to deal with management of an extra filesystem layer. The VMWare
community is split on which is faster. Are there any significant benefits to
either one on the ZFS side?