Since copies=N is a per-filesystem setting, you fail writes to
/tank/important_documents (copies=2) when you run out of ditto blocks on
another VDEV, but still allow /tank/torrentcache (copies=1) to use the
other space.

With disks of 100 and 50 GB mirrored, /tank/torrentcache would be "more
redundant than necessary", and you run out of capacity too soon.

Wishlist: It would be nice to put the whole redundancy definitions into
the zfs filesystem layer (rather than the pool layer):  Imagine being
able to "set copies=5+2" for a filesystem... (requires a 7-VDEV pool,
and stripes via RAIDz2, otherwise the zfs create/set fails)

--Joe