Paul B. Henson wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, Tim Spriggs wrote:
>

>> The x4500 is very sweet and the only thing stopping us from buying two
>> instead of another shelf is the fact that we have lost pools on Sol10u3
>> servers and there is no easy way of making two pools redundant (ie the
>> complexity of clustering.) Simply sending incremental snapshots is not a
>> viable option.
>>
>> The pools we lost were pools on iSCSI (in a mirrored config) and they
>> were mostly lost on zpool import/export. The lack of a recovery
>> mechanism really limits how much faith we can put into our data on ZFS.
>> It's safe as long as the pool is safe... but we've lost multiple pools.
>>

> Lost data doesn't give me a warm fuzzy 8-/. Were you running an officially
> supported version of Solaris at the time? If so, what did Sun support have
> to say about this issue?

Sol 10 with just about all patches up to date.

I joined this list in hope of a good answer. After answering a few
questions over two days I had no hope of recovering the data. Don't
import/export (especially between systems) without serious cause, at
least not with U3. I haven't tried updating our servers yet and I don't
intend to for a while now. The filesystems contained databases that were
luckily redundant and could be rebuilt, but our DBA was not too happy to
have to do that at 3:00am.

I still have a pool that can not be mounted or exported. It shows up
with zpool list but nothing under zfs list. zpool export gives me an IO
error and does nothing. On the next downtime I am going to attempt to
yank the lun out from under its feet (as gently as I can) after I have
stopped all other services.

Still, we are using ZFS but we are re-thinking on how to deploy/manage
it. Our original model had us exporting/importing pools in order to move
zone data between machines. We had done the same with UFS on iSCSI
without a hitch. ZFS worked for about 8 zone moves and then killed 2
zones. The major operational difference between the moves involved a
reboot of the global zones. The initial import worked but after the
reboot the pools were in a bad state reporting errors on both drives in
the mirror. I exported one (bad choice) and attempted to gain access to
the other. Now attempting to import the first pool will panic a
solaris/opensolaris box very reliably. The second is in the state I
described above. Also, the drive labels are intact according to zdb.

When we don't move pools around, zfs seems to be stable on both Solaris
and OpenSolaris. I've done snapshots/rollbacks/sends/receives/clones/...
without problems. We even have zvols exported as mirrored luns from an
OpenSolaris box. It mirrors the luns that the IBM/NetApp box exports and
seems to be doing fine with that. There are a lot of other people that
seem to have the same opinion and use zfs with direct attached storage.

-Tim

PS: "when I have a lot of time" I might try to reproduce this by:

m2# zpool create test mirror iscsi_lun1 iscsi_lun2
m2# zpool export test
m1# zpool import -f test
m1# reboot
m2# reboot