> Where does the win come from with "directI/O"?  Is it 1), 2), or some
> combination?  If its a combination, what's the percentage of each
> towards the win?

That will vary based on workload (I know, you already knew that ... :^).
Decomposing the performance win between what is gained as a result of
single writer
lock breakup and no caching is something we can only guess at, because,
at least
for UFS, you can't do just one - it's all or nothing.
> We need to tease 1) and 2) apart to have a full understanding.

We can't. We can only guess (for UFS).

My opinion - it's a must-have for ZFS if we're going to get serious
attention
in the database space. I'll bet dollars-to-donuts that, over the next
several years,
we'll burn many tens-of-millions of dollars on customer support
escalations that
come down to memory utilization issues and contention between database
specific buffering and the ARC. This is entirely my opinion (not that of
Sun),
and I've been wrong before.

Thanks,
/jim