Hi Tim,
  Sorry for mailing you directly; I meant to reply to the list.  My mistake.
On 10/8/07, Tim Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> this was a one day project which is why I kept it simple and I don't
> have detailed data beyond what I collected for the graphs.
The graphs are pretty informative, even so.  You can see the
limitations of raid-z on it pretty clearly - 200 megabytes per second
requires six thousand IO/sec?!  That's about 30k per I/O, which lines
up with what's expected for 128k stripes on five-wide stripes... but
that's still a lot of overhead.

> I was lucky enough to have the hardware to put this together (threw this
> ?) together very quickly
>
> I work in Engineering in Sun's Systems Group in an ISV focused team. We
> are having some discussions in the team about running a full suite of
> tests against SAMBA on Thumper but no firm plans yet...it is all about
> scheduling :-(
I can certainly understand scheduling limitations, and look forward to
any further results.  Having local equivalents to the samba tests
would also be interesting - write a local file at maximum speed, and
see how fast that goes and how many I/Os that generates. for example.
Non-sequential tests would be neat, too.

Will