Scott Laird wrote:
> I'm debating using an external intent log on a new box that I'm about
> to start working on, and I have a few questions.
>
> 1.  If I use an external log initially and decide that it was a
> mistake, is there a way to move back to the internal log without
> rebuilding the entire pool?

It's not currently possible to remove a separate log.
This was working once, but was stripped out until the
more generic zpool remove devices was provided.
This is bug 6574286:

http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do?bug_id=6574286

> 2.  What happens if the logging device fails completely?  Does this
> damage anything else in the pool, other then potentially losing
> in-flight transactions?

This should work. It shouldn't even lose the in-flight transactions.
ZFS reverts to using the main pool if a slog write fails or the
slog fills up.

> 3.  What about corruption in the log?  Is it checksummed like the rest of ZFS?

Yes it's checksummed, but the checksumming is a bit different
from the pool blocks in the uberblock tree.

See also:
http://blogs.sun.com/perrin/entry/slog_blog_or_blogging_on