On Oct 18, 2007, at 13:26, Richard Elling wrote:

> Yes. It is true that ZFS redefines the meaning of available space.
> But
> most people like compression, snapshots, clones, and the pooling
> concept.
> It may just be that you want zfs list instead, df is old-school :-)

exactly - i'm not complaining .. just understanding the confusion

I don't think anticipate deprecating df in favor of "zfs list", but
df_zfs or additonal flags to df might be helpful .. perhaps a pool
option, and some sort of easy visual to say that the avail number
you're looking at is shared .. perhaps something like this (sorted
output would be nice too by default):

# df -F zfs -xh
Filesystem             size   used  resv  avail capacity  Mounted on
log-pool              (457G)  120M  ---  (447G)    1%     /log-pool
log-pool/butterfinger
                       (457G)   24K  10G  (457G)    1%     /log-pool/
butterfinger
log-pool/swim          [50G]   24K  ---   [50G]    1%     /log-pool/swim
thumper-pool           (16T)  1.1T  ---   (13T)    8%     /thumper-pool
thumper-pool/home      (16T)   46K  ---   (13T)    1%     /thumper-
pool/home

essentially just some way to tell at a glance that the capacity is
either (shared) or a [quota]

> OTOH, df does have a notion of file system specific options.  It
> might be
> useful to have a df_zfs option which would effectively show the zfs
> list-like
> data.

yeah - i'm thinking it might be helpful to see reserved capacity here
by default, or at least have a switch for it instead of having to
alias "zfs list -o
name,used,reservation,available,refer,mountpoint" .. i'm always
thrown at first glance by that one:

NAME                    USED  RESERV  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
log-pool               10.1G    none   447G   120M  /log-pool
log-pool/butterfinger  24.5K     10G   457G  24.5K  /log-pool/
butterfinger
log-pool/swim          24.5K    none  50.0G  24.5K  /log-pool/swim
thumper-pool           2.63T    none  12.9T  1.11T  /thumper-pool
thumper-pool/home       163G    none  12.9T  45.7K  /thumper-pool/home

> BTW, airlines also overprovision seats, which is why you might
> sometimes
> get bumped.  Hotels do this as well.

my point as well - meaning you're never sure if you're going to get a
seat especially if there's a rush .. sorry looking back it's kind of
a bad analogy

---
.je