 Having
> my MP3 collection
> gotten fucked up thanks to neither Windows nor NTFS
> being able to
> properly detect and report in-flight data corruption
> (i.e. bad cable),
> after copying it from one drive to another to replace
> one of them, I'm
> really glad that I've ZFS to manage my data these
> days.

Hmmm.  All this talk about bad cables by you and others sounds more like older
ATA (before transfers over the cable got CRC protection) than like contemporary
drives.  Was your experience with a recent drive and controller?

> As far as all these reliability studies go, my
> practical experience is
> quite the opposite. I'm fixing computers of friends
> and acquaintances
> left and right, bad sectors are rather pretty common.

I certainly haven't found them to be common, unless a drive was on the verge of
major failure.  Though if a drive is used beyond its service life (usually 3 -
5 years) they may become more common.

In any case, if a conventional scrub would detect the bad sector then ZFS per
se wouldn't add unique value (save that the check would be automated rather
than something that the user, or system assembler, had to set up to be
scheduled).

I really meant it, though, when I said that I don't completely discount
anecdotal experience:  I just like to get more particulars before deciding how
much to weigh it against more formal analyses.

- bill