> This needs to be proven with a reproducible,
> real-world workload before it
> makes sense to try to solve it.  After all, if we
> cannot measure where
> we are,
> how can we prove that we've improved?

Ah - Tests & Measurements types:  you've just gotta love 'em.

Wife:  "Darling, is there really supposed to be that much water in the bottom
of our boat?"

T&M:  "There's almost always a little water in the bottom of a boat, Love."

Wife:  "But I think it's getting deeper!"

T&M:  "I suppose you *could* be right:  I'll just put this mark where the water
is now, and then after a few minutes we can see if it really has gotten deeper
and, if so, just how much we really may need to worry about it."

Wife:  "I think I'll use this bucket to get rid of some of it, just in case."

T&M:  "No, don't do that:  then we won't be able to see how bad the problem is!"

Wife:  "But -"

T&M:  "And try not to rock the boat:  it changes the level of the water at the
mark that I just made."

Wife:  "I'm really not a very good swimmer, dear:  let's just head for shore."

T&M:  "That would be silly if there turns out not to be any problem, wouldn't
it?"

(Wife hits T&M over head with bucket, grabs oars, and starts rowing.)

- bill