> The B-trees I'm used to tree divide in arbitrary
> places across the whole
> key, so doing partial-key queries is painful.

While the b-trees in DEC's Record Management Services (RMS) allowed
multi-segment keys, they treated the entire key as a byte-string as far as
prefix searches went (i.e., the segmentation wasn't significant to that, and
there's no obvious reason why it should have been in other implementations).

> I can't find "Structured File System" "Transarc"
> usefully in Google.  Do
> you have a link handy?  If not, never mind.

Well, transarc.com now leads to a porn site, so that's not much help.  And
Wikipedia's entry for Transarc is regrettably sparse.

Transarc was a Pittsburgh R&D company formed by some *very* bright CMU people.
It's probably best known for its 'Encina' distributed transaction environment
(SFS was actually part of Encina, but IIRC a separable one), for having
developed the distributed file system (DFS) component of the Open Group's
Distributed Computing Environment (DCE), and for AFS, the productized (and now
open source) version of CMU's distributed Andrew file system; my own
acquaintance with Transarc became closer when I was helping develop a
distributed transactional object system in the mid''90s and we were using their
book "Camelot and Avalon" for high-level design inspiration.  They were always
closely associated with IBM, which absorbed them as a wholly-owned subsidiary
in 1994 (and I've heard relatively little about them since).

SFS was one of their lesser-known achievements:  a record-oriented
transactional file system.  I've always felt that system-managed
record-oriented files were useful, in part because a lot of the nitty-gritty
space management that's required (e.g., to handle the structured pages that
tend to be necessary to accommodate data that's allowed to change its size or
is required to remain in some key order under insertion/update/deletion
activity) duplicates similar space-management required of the system to manage
conventional byte-stream files and in part because any kind of system-wide
lock- and deadlock-management facilities tend to want to tie into such data at
a higher-than-byte-stream level (e.g., because the locked entities may have to
move around) - so SFS was interesting to me.  Unfortunately, it's been long
enough that I can't remember too many details about it - e.g., it may or may
not have supported interlocked access at the record field level - and at least
after a qui
 ck search I can't find any papers about it that I may have downloaded (that
era was before I really recognized how evanescent Web material often may be).

I actually did get a Google hit at position 19 with the search terms you used
(after a plethora of hits on "log structured file system", of course), but it
wasn't very enlightening.  Nor were several later ones, until hit 42 at the
University of Waterloo - a .pdf that contains at least a brief description
starting on page 21 (including a thinly-disguised rip-off of a figure in
Gray&Reuter's classic "Transaction Processing" - but it's not quite
*identical*...).

Aha - good old reliable IBM *does* still have some SFS documentation on line
that hit 75 noticed; munging that URL a bit led to
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/txformp/v5r1/index.jsp?noscript=1
(expand "Encina Books" in the left-hand frame and start digging...).

- bill