On Dec 6, 2007, at 00:03, Anton B. Rang wrote:

>> what are you terming as "ZFS' incremental risk reduction"?
>
> I'm not Bill, but I'll try to explain.
>
> Compare a system using ZFS to one using another file system -- say,
> UFS, XFS, or ext3.
>
> Consider which situations may lead to data loss in each case, and
> the probability of each such situation.
>
> The difference between those two sets is the 'incremental risk
> reduction' provided by ZFS.

ah .. thanks Anton - so the next step would be to calculate the
probability of occurrence, the impact to operation, and the return to
service for each anticipated risk in a given environment in order to
determine the size of the increment that constitutes the risk
reduction that ZFS is providing.  Without this there's just a lot of
hot air blowing around in here ..

<snip>

excellent summary of risks - perhaps we should also consider the
availability and transparency of the code to potentially mitigate
future problems .. that's currently where i'm starting to see
tremendous value in open and free raid controller solutions to help
drive down the cost of implementation for this sort of data
protection instead of paying through the nose for a closed hardware
based solutions (which is still a great margin in licensing for
dedicated storage vendors)

---
.je