On Dec 5, 2007, at 8:38 PM, Anton B. Rang wrote:

> This might have been affected by the cache flush issue -- if the
> 3310 flushes its NVRAM cache to disk on SYNCHRONIZE CACHE commands,
> then ZFS is penalizing itself.  I don't know whether the 3310
> firmware has been updated to support the SYNC_NV bit.  It wasn't
> obvious on Sun's site where to download the latest firmware.

Yeah that would be my guess on the huge disparity.  I actually don't
know of any storage device that actually supports SYNC_NV.  If
someone knows of any, i'd love to know.

przemol, did you set the recordsize to 8KB?

What are the server's specs?  (memory, CPU)

Which version of FileBench and which version of the oltp.f workload
did you use?

> A quick glance through the OpenSolaris code indicates that ZFS &
> the sd driver have been updated to support this bit, but I didn't
> track down which release first introduced this functionality.

Yep, that would be:
6462690 sd driver should set SYNC_NV bit when issuing SYNCHRONIZE
CACHE to SBC-2 devices
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do?bug_id=6462690

It was putback in snv_74.

The PSARC case is 2007/053 (though i see its not open which doesn't
do much good for externals...).  In any event, if the 3310 doesn't
support SYNC_NV (which i would guess it doesn't) then it may require
manually editing sd.conf to treat the flush commands as no-ops.

eric