Allowing a filesystem to be rolled back without unmounting it sounds unwise,
given the potentially confusing effect on any application with a file currently
open there.

And if a user can't roll back their home directory filesystem, is that so bad?
Presumably they can still access snapshot versions of individual files or even
entire directory sub-trees and copy them to their current state if they want to
- or whistle up someone else to perform a rollback of their home directory if
they really need to.

I'm not normally one to advocate protecting users from themselves, but I do
think that applications have some rights to believe that there are some
guarantees about stability as long as they have a file accessed (and that the
system should terminate that access if it can't sustain those guarantees).

- bill